- 50g dark brown sugar
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp Worcester sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1.8kg beef short ribs (Jacob’s Ladder), cut in half widthways (or use oxtail pieces)
- 2 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, sliced and rinsed
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 850ml good-quality, hot beef stock
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
Combine the sugar, garlic, mustard, paprika, Worcester sauce and seasoning in a large, shallow tray. Add the meat and coat with the mixture. Cover refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Add all the ingredients to a slow cooker and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Remove the bay leaves, skim off any oil and serve with mash and roasted vegetables.
Recipe courtesy of Simply Beef & Lamb simplybeefandlamb.co.uk
For more recipe inspiration, pick up a copy of the January edition of Good Things magazine. To download a digital copy click here or buy in store at select Waitrose and Tesco stores, WHSmith High Street, WHSmith Travel, Wholefoods, Marks and Spencer and News on the Wharf.
Follow Good Things magazine!