Porridge has been around forever and will never become boring – especially when you can so easily adapt the toppings to suit your mood. Lucy Bee’s spiced apple recipe really mixes it up, making it very warming – especially in the winter months.
• 40g/scant ½ cup gluten-free oats
• 200ml/ ¾ cup plus 1 tbsp almond milk
• ½ tsp mixed spice
• 1 tsp Lucy Bee lucuma powder
• ½ vanilla pod, split lengthways and seeds scraped out (optional)
• 1 tbsp Lucy Bee coconut oil
• 1 apple, thinly sliced
• 1 tsp Lucy Bee cinnamon powder, plus extra to serve
• 40g/ ½ cup dried cranberries
1 Put the oats and almond milk in a saucepan and gently bring to the boil, stirring. Once it bubbles and the oats have absorbed the liquid, add the mixed spice, lucuma and vanilla seeds and pod, if using. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to rest for 3–4 minutes.
2 While the oats are resting, melt the coconut oil in a frying pan, add the apple slices and cinnamon and sauté until the apple is soft, then add the cranberries.
3 Remove the vanilla pod from the porridge and serve topped with the apple and cranberries. For extra flavour, add an extra sprinkling of cinnamon.
Recipe courtesy of Coconut Oil: Recipes for Real Life by Lucy Bee (Quadrille £15). Photography: Dan Jones.